“What is this guy wearing?” “Is this boy not ashamed of himself?” “He’s just a clown.” “But chill! Is this guy gay?” Those were some words of people that saw me dress some two years back.
“This guy is just too creative mehn”, “I think I can wear this, Dara has worn it before” “Guy you too dey burst brains”, “I have to buy one of those items, it looked good on Dara when he wore it” These are the words of these same people now. Surprised?. It took a lot of consistency, hard work, creativity and above all boldness to have turned the tables around in a space of just two years.
What does it actually mean to be bold? Boldness is relative as what you call bold could be called “normal” by me.
Let me quickly share some very useful tips on how you can dress very boldly and make a statement in whatever you wear.
- Learn to manage attention. I don’t know how easy that would be but you just have to learn it as you’d get a lot of people starring when you start your boldness journey.
- Boost your confidence. It takes time, don’t rush, build it gradually to a point where you’re okay with people asking unnecessary questions 😊.
- Find a style and create a niche around it. For a start, there’s no need to be all over every fashion genre. Stick to one for now and be playful around it.
- Take an extra step to pair colours. Learn it. Don’t be a lazy dresser that only centers around shades of only one colour. Be daring my dear.
- Lastly on this article, debunk the popular saying “you don’t wear patterns on patterns”. That was never a fashion rule and would never be a fashion rule. That saying was probably introduced by one of those lazy, shy and boring dressers we have out there. Take patterns and prints into consideration, pair them well and trust me, you’d stand out.
Outfit by @darafashionthreads
Photography by @oduologywork